I have noticed a generational difference recently while volunteering at the kids' book fair at school. Today's youth (my way of avoiding the expression, "Kids today. . ") actually buy stuff with their dollar coins. I remember having half dollars and dollar coins as a kid, but you never actually spent them. You collected them - not that I have any idea where mine are today. And I remember my Dad collecting the $2 coins. But gosh, you never actually used them. Some kids at the book fair would pick out a book and I would help them figure out if they had enough money to buy it. I would look into their envelope and it would be filled with coins and I would think maybe they had three dollars tops. Then I realized they were actually spending dollar coins!! Whoever heard of such a thing!
And on a different note, both kids are now putting their faces in water. We are slowly making progress in swimming lessons. Ethan had a break through the other night in the big tub with Katrina. She somehow managed to get him to put his face in (HUGE STEP for him). Then she was trying to put her head under and touch her nose on the bottom of the tub (it is a deep tub). She was trying to get Ethan to do it too, but he couldn't quite do it by himself. So while he was trying to do it, she would put her hand on the back of his head and push him all the way down. And for some reason, he didn't mind this. She did this multiple times, but she whispered to me that I shouldn't tell him that she was helping him. Did she really think he couldn't tell? Could he really not tell?? I'm not sure, but all I know is that this is HUGE for both of them to be doing this.
And lastly, living in the South for the past 3.5 years has skewed my perception of Northern/normal summers. Right now it is 63 degrees outside. I have only had the air on maybe four or five times and I'm hot blooded so that says something. The kids haven't swum in their little pool yet out back as it has been too cold. I believe it is more than 30-35 degrees warmer today in Arkansas. Miss my friends there, but I DO NOT miss that!!! Blowing cool breezes down your way, my Southern friends (both temporary, not so temporary, and permanent residents!).
2 comments:
I have noticed that it hasn't been summer-like at your home yet. One state away and we have been up to 30 degrees warmer.
I like to keep my dollar coins, too. Yet, I don't know where they go. Sometimes I think I must use them for quarters. They just disappear - like socks in the dryer.
Funny, funny, you old lady you! I have a jar of silver dollars, all for winning ribbons at the county fair. I know where they are. We spent the week in cool Indiana. My dad kept turning on the air, but at 83 degrees, I thought it was heavenly! Love you!!
Post a Comment