Sunday, October 17, 2010

School and projects

The days are passing quickly up here and the home is feeling even homier. This friday was a big day as the furniture was delivered. The living room now feels alive!! In one more week the painter should be here to paint the main rooms tan (I'm not very daring with the colors, but the off white walls and ceilings in this whole house are begging for some more color), E's room blue, and K's room lavender. I'm working on staining the deck and Greg is working on my list of projects including hanging up coat racks, fixing the stinky sink, putting the legs on the couch, patching the holes in the wall so the painter can paint, hanging up curtains, etc. What a guy!!

The kids are loving their school and they are very proud of it. It is a great little school - everyone tells us that, too. I volunteered the other day for the "store" where the kids get to trade in their tickets they earned for good behavior for prizes. It was fun - all of the kids were very nice and it was fun to "spy." Which let's be honest, that is why I really wanted to do this - so I could SPY on the school. See what all is going on. Great school though and our kids are so excited to order T-shirts with the school mascot on it.

On a "random facts of life up here" note, our ground is mainly sand up here. In some spots in our yard, it is almost sand box worthy sand - no dirt, just sand. In most spots though it is a mix or dirt and sand. As I stained the deck though yesterday, there was a fine layer of sand over most of it. This whole area must have been under water at some point in time. Our neighbors said they tried to dig to see if they could add a basement, but they didn't get far down at all before they hit water. Greg was telling me they actually built a hill on the front of our home so that we could have a "basement" (although it is a walkout so really our main level is elevated and the "basement" is ground level . . . therefore the quotes).

We see turkeys every day. At night they roost in our trees about 40 feet off the ground. You should hear them crashing around out there - makes me laugh. Happy Sunday!

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

I am so happy they have a great little school to attend! Can't wait to see all Greg's completed projects. :) Miss u.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your life is very busy but enjoyable!! When I was at your house last month, I saw the little piles of sand where the fence builders had dug out for the fence posts. I thought maybe they had brought in sand for fill. I didn't think about it just being the soil. It would be fun to find a sea shell in your yard!

Denise said...

Charlie would like to know what the school mascot is.