Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fall in Michigan








Here are some of our latest pictures. The first one is of the tree off the deck - the picture actually doesn't do it justice. It is beautiful - Kate, that one is for you! The second one Greg took this weekend - we have turkeys that we see all the time up here. That is a picture of them on our driveway. We have two feeders up for them and I think they are eating the food - something is eating it anyway! The second picture is of a woolly worm eating a pear. We find these every day outside and Katrina insisted on keeping her woolly worm overnight so I tried to find something it would eat. You could actually hear it munching on the pear. Eric Carle was right - the very hungry caterpillar did eat through a pear.
This weekend we went to a U of M/Michigan State party at one of Greg's colleagues house - everyone was very nice. Today the kids and I went to an apple orchard with their two buddies, Raina and Danica. Their grandparents and their mom came, too - their grandma (Bubbi - it means Grandma in Czech) picks them up every day and we talk daily and have done a few playdates at the park. The grandparents are from Czechoslovakia and they speak Czech to the kids. The kids and I are already learning a few popular phrases such as "Stop that" and "Don't touch that." Popular phrases in any culture when small children are around! I can't say them, but I can understand them now. They are all very nice and live just down the road. I think the grandma enjoys having friends for all of them to hang out with - or at least I hope she does as we enjoy our playdates with them. We had another playdate this week with a mom and her kids and that went alright - it was fun enough. Just made me miss all the faces (both grown-up and little) that we have played with for the past three years. Off to get the kids ready for bed - days go so quickly now that they are both going to school! Tomorrow's adventure - getting a Michigan driver's license!

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Thank you for the special Fall photo! I do miss those glorious colors. The turkeys amaze me. Can't wait to show the kids. We miss your faces, too, but so happy you are becoming bilingual. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures. Are the turkeys noisy? And good luck with the driver's license test.

Denise said...

I'm guessing you didn't wear your Ohio State stuff to the party? Great photos!