Monday, December 6, 2010

Princess Diana

On Saturday, I went with some of the wives of Greg's coworkers to the Princess Diana exhibit. It was such a great day and the exhibit was so nicely done. They had a part designated for her childhood/teenage years, her Spencer family history, her marriage, her death, and her dresses (did you know that all of the dresses for her entire wedding party - including her dress - only cost $1900? The wedding dress was there, too). What really struck me about it though was how beautiful she was. In today's world of touched up noses, injected lips, cheek implants, etc, she was just a truly unique beauty. My favorite part was some family videos they showed where she was probably about ten years old and was just silly dancing - reminded me of Katrina and just showed how much Princess Diana's life truly changed down the road.

After we went there, they took me to the historic Amway Hotel and we went and had dessert and coffee at a restaurant there overlooking the Grand River. All I could think of was how much some of my friends in Arkansas would have LOVED this day full of culture and fun. I hadn't been away from Ethan in about two weeks with Thanksgiving break and then he was sick for a full week. When I saw him again after being away for four hours or so I couldn't believe how much is speech is improving. His speech path had made that comment this past week, but wow, he has really worked on it! Hard sometimes to see the improvement until you can come in with a fresh perspective.

Next culture filled event - Greg's work party at the museum where the Body Exhibit is currently on display. Not necessarily the most appetizing of locations, but I'm looking forward to seeing it!

4 comments:

Denise said...

Nice change on the blog!

Sue E. and I saw Bodies. Very interesting. Sometimes it was hard to even remember that those were once living people. It was rather disturbing how easy it was to stay detached from it. I definitely want to know what you think of it.

Anonymous said...

New layout! I like it.

Yes, we saw Bodies. I was pretty amazing. I agree with Denise - it was easy to forget that these were real bodies. It was also very educational.

I am looking forward to seeing / hearing Ethan and Katrina.

Rockin' Redesigns said...

I am so happy you went out with women! Yeah, big step! I am curious to see if our culture obsesses over the upcoming royal wedding and princess as much as the Princess Diana, I think they will. I remember as a kid seeing her on ALL the magazines at the grocery store.

Kathryn said...

These are the kinds of days/experiences that I miss. I hope this is the first of many. I am so happy you did this, and so happy it gave such great perspective on Ethan. How cool!!