Sunday, November 14, 2010

Rollin' along

Life up here is slowly settling down more. I need to remind myself that we have only been up here about eight weeks. Eight weeks ago we lived in Arkansas - how is that possible?? I attempted to rake yesterday. Our property is drowning in leaves and I am anti-leaf blower as they are one of the most polluting devices that a homeowner can have. Trying to be green. However, after raking for 30 minutes and not even making the tiniest of dents, I decided to attempt to mow over them, but they are so deep throughout the yard that it required a double or triple pass. I did about five little rows and then it started to rain. So the yard is still covered in leaves except for one little path.

The riding mower has been converted permanently to a snow thrower complete with covered cab - I wonder if it can believe that we live in Michigan now. Its days of mowing in one hundred degree weather covered in dust are over and now it has snow chains on it and all new kinds of winter gear. It warmed back up last week into the low 60s and the weather was beautiful. This week it is cooling back down. We did have snowflakes about a week and a half ago. Can't wait to see a real snowfall!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are ready for snow!!! I can recall watching you mow in Arkansas and seeing the dust storm behind you. I may never make it up there when it is snowing the 100 inches so please send pictures.

Kathryn said...

I wonder if people there rush to get milk when a snowfall is predicted? lol. Hard to believe it has been only 8 weeks. Truly seems like many months. All those leaves make some great soil!

Julie said...

It DOES feel like more than eight weeks. I still laugh, Kate, when I think, "Can you believe I lived in ARKANSAS??". Seems like a dream at times, but oh the treasures I found there!!