Monday, April 11, 2011

My Nemesis

Last week, we were in Ohio visiting my family which was so much fun. The trip was a blast and it couldn't have gone better. Now we're home and the weather has been surprisingly nice so I have returned to gardening. This house was built in 2004 I think and I'm 99% sure they didn't do a single bit of gardening since the landscapers left when the job was complete. So alas, my nemesis and I battled this weekend. All weekend - my nemesis, the VINE. This vine covered the whole front of the house when we moved in. It was under the shutters, under the siding, and ALL over the whole entire front landscaping. This weekend I yanked and pulled and dug until my hands could barely stand it. And I managed to clear the left side of the house which was the worst side. It took probably a total of six hours to get rid of it all and now it is strewn on my yard - I'm waiting until it is fully dead to put it in my compost or in some spot in the woods. There is still some on the right side (the steps to the house is my right/left divider), but it isn't the same type that was on the left. I'm also cleaning the area by the garage that goes down the steps to the backyard - all covered with vines, but I'm slowly unearthing stone that goes around the border. Nemesis, we will battle again - maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but yes, we will battle and you will be defeated! And a word of advice, do not ever plant ivy unless you are 100% sure that you will have hours each summer to dedicate to keeping it confined. Egads!

5 comments:

Sue said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!

Ivy and I battle about eight months of the year. Actually, I have one place where I want it to grow and it won't. I even bought more in an attempt to have it grow at that spot. Ivy is evil.

Unknown said...

Your children missed you...

Anonymous said...

I wanted some of that beautiful ivy and now it is gone...........

Julie said...

Well, honey, maybe if you had washed that dish in the sink from the neighbor's house until waiting for me to come as you were concerned it wasn't safe to put in the dishwasher, I would have had more time to play with them.

Unknown said...

You mean the one she brought over because you made me sound so pathetic?