So I really like Michigan. People are very nice to me which after a year is still a pleasant surprise after three years in a place where very few people were friendly to me. However, I do have two grievances, Michigan. Number one, you all drive like maniacs. I remember when I was in college and came up to visit friends who went to college in Michigan and as soon as you hit the state line, the driving style changed. Yesterday I was turning left onto my road off a busier street and I got honked at apparently for turning. I had to laugh though as the car sped around me - a cute little Porsche. Two things that probably wouldn't have happened in AR -being honked at for turning and being honked at by a Porsche. My dirty minivan took it all in stride though.
My other grievance, Michigan, is you don't know how to hold doors open. I must say I got used to people holding doors open for me in the south (although in Minnesota, I remember most men holding even elevator doors and allowing you to get in first and holding doors open in general). The other day I had the door practically close on my face by an older man. And he knew I was right behind him. The dads at school are just as guilty. Ethan will be taught to HOLD THE DOOR open and let women in first (and Katrina can also hold doors open for that matter) - just basic manners in my opinion. Although that being said, every morning at the kids' school there are kids who stand there and open the door for all the kids coming into the building and they do so with huge grins on their faces so maybe there is hope.
Tomorrow is Halloween and we are going trick or treating with FRIENDS (so much better than trick or treating alone). A year can make all the difference with stuff like that.
2 comments:
I always look forward to crossing the Michigan - Ohio line when I come to your house. The speed limit is five miles an hour faster!!!
There was a time in my life when I did not want a man to hold the door for me just because I was a woman - equal rights and everything. I do agree that it is just the polite thing to do for everyone. Especially for the elderly!
Not because we can't do it for ourselves - we just like everybody else to wait on us. It's fun - also the discounts. That's great too.
I'm all for someone holding the door open for me. Always have been.
Post a Comment