Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lake effect snow

We have had several warnings for lake effect snows this winter, but today is the biggest lake snow that we have seen. According to the definition, lake effect snow occurs when cold air moves across the warmer lake water. The wind picks up the water vapor which is then deposited as snow. What seems to happen - here is my simpler definition - is they forecast flurries and then it snows a ton instead. That is what I guess a lake effect snow is. It is snowing a ton outside right now and the roads are really bad. We were suppossed to go to a work party tonight, but Greg thinks it might be cancelled. This is the biggest snowfall that we have seen up here.

On a different note, I have decided next holiday season that I am throwing myself a work party. There will be chocolate, presents for me, decorations are a must but nothing too complicated as I will have to hang them, and perhaps some party games. And I might even give a speech. Not sure who will be here to listen to it (haven't decided if a spouse and children will be invited), but the dogs are normally a receptive audience. Perhaps this idea comes from cabin fever, but I think it is somewhat brilliant. Something to look forward to next winter!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is your evening better or worse than your day? I can write a speech for your work party. And do decorations. Just let me know when it is.

Anonymous said...

and I will be sure to send Jake and Miley to your party; they love to listen but rarely do what they are supposed to do............unless you have lots of party favors then you will have them "eating out of your hand"

Kathryn said...

Your party idea is magnificent! I think you should record your speech and blog it. I am curious as to what cabin fever is doing to your thoughts. lol!!!