




Just three weeks ago we said goodbye to Baxter and this morning we had to say goodbye to Mamacita. Mama was only three years old. We adopted her and her kitty Rambo when she was less than a year old. She was found outside an apartment with a badly injured eye that we later had removed. Because she only had one eye, she mainly stayed inside even though she used to be an outside cat. This is the cat I wanted as a little girl - she would tolerate anything, and I do mean anything. She was Katrina's best friend. Katrina dressed her up on a regular basis including jewelry. She carried her around almost by the neck and this cat never bit her or acted the least bit upset about the situation. She slept in Katrina's room. Katrina started having bad dreams around age three and when Mama started sleeping in her room the bad dreams went around. Calling her a magical cat is nothing short of the truth. I had a friend ask once what Katrina liked to play with as she doesn't like Barbies and only has a doll or two that she really likes. I quickly answered, "Mama." Just Mama.
Yesterday she ate some tuna fish while I made Greg's lunch. I yelled at her to get off the kitchen table. At rest time Katrina made a leash for her out of a pot holder kit's loopies. She wore it faithfully until I took it off her. The kids and I were playing out front yesterday which is why she came out front. She chased some bubbles that we were blowing and she and Rambo placed chase around my minivan. She was very happy in the garage and hid under the van when I tried to get her so I made no further attempt. We came in to eat and returned outside to wait for Greg. At some point between then and bedtime, we think a neighbor's dog caught up to Mama and there her life ended. We found her this morning in a cow pasture next door. She looks at peace. Katrina wants to be there when we bury her so after ballet tonight we will have her funeral. I have prepared her grave in front of this big old oak tree diagonal from the kids' toy room. It is a beautiful spot. Grief again returns to our home. I wish I had turned back in the garage and gotten her out with a food bribe. Guilt. Grief.
Amazing how kids handle it. Ethan cried, Katrina didn't shed a tear. Ethan has already said to his teary eyed mother several times today things like, "We still have a mama - you!," "We still have two cats and two dogs." Katrina was concerned about who would sleep with her. We are going to try Rambo and Vader in there tonight to see how they do. I'm scared to let them outside although they are much more agile than Mama. So many stories I could tell about Mama, but here is my favorite:
One time Katrina had the croup and I was sleeping in her bed face to face with her listening to her breathe. I was kind of in and out of sleep and at one point I felt Mama rubbing her head on me. I will swear to you she was trying to tell me that it was okay and that she would take over the night shift. I got up and she curled right up next to Katrina's face, nose to nose. As if she was going to take over monitoring her breathing. I had never seen her sleep like this before with Katrina. She was the sweetest soul. Rest in peace, sweet Mama.
5 comments:
You have written a beautiful tribute to Mamacita.
She left wonderful memories for everyone who knew her. I can just imagine Katrina telling stories to her grandchildren about Mama. She was one terrific cat.
I am so sorry.
My heartfelt condolences are sent you all of you ... especially Katrina. I've always been a "cat" person and grew up with my own beloved feline best friends. You'll always remember her. Julie - be kind to yourself - there's no way to predict the future.
What a wonderful cat; not your fault Julie; I believe, as I said in my email, that God has a reason for everything; you all worked wonders with Mama and she with you and Katrina; I know there is a kitty out there needing love and I can't think of a better home than yours...
So sorry for your loss; hang in there
Cats has that reputation of being aloof and independent, but Mama was such the opposite!! How wonderful that she took over the Mama shift that night to guard Katrina. Only another mama would know to do that. When you are ready, if you are ready, there is a sweet kitty here with your name on it. Or Katrina's name. ;)
Mamacita had a fabulous home. She was obviously very thankful for it and her family. And you, Julie, are a gift to the animal kingdom. I think all of your animals know it.
Post a Comment