Friday, September 24, 2010

Open House, Maritime Warnings, Wind, and the Fence

Alright, life continues to roll happily along here and I haven't gotten seriously hurt since the last post!! I am tired though - I had to list everything I wanted to talk about in the title so that I wouldn't forget. :) We had Katrina and Ethan's open house at their school last night and WOW, what an open house! The fire department for the township that we live in had their open house at the school, too, so there was every rescue vehicle known to man AND we got to ride for about five minutes on TOP of a fire truck. How fun is that? We had to wait in line for about an hour, but the kids loved it!! The Sheriff's Department was there, the Fire Department (who also took apart a car with the jaws of life while we waited in line), and of course the Coast Guard - we're learning they are at every event here because the Lake is vital to life here. It was really fun though and WOW what an event!

The other night we had bad storms and for the first time ever we saw Maritime Warnings on the TV along with the Severe Thunderstorm Warning (Kate, this detail is for you! Thought of you when I saw it!). Interesting, huh? It is SO WINDY outside right now, but I think the wind sounds normal to people here. It is HOWLING out there and it did that alllll night. I think that is just the way the wind sounds this close to the lake, maybe??

On an exciting note, the fence is now done and the dogs are now free to play out back, thank goodness. It looks great. They have about 3/4 of an acre to play in and they are loving it. We might let Rambo and Vader, the two outdoor cats, outside tomorrow for the first time. I'm nervous about this as I'm scared they will get lost.

On a funny note, I didn't know until yesterday how long our driveway is. It is at least a quarter of a mile long. I had to drag two big, very full garbage cans all the way down yesterday. That is why I now know how long it is. I felt like I was doing a relay race. I would drag the garbage can a distance, then run back to the recycling garbage can and drag it. then the other, and then I would sprint back to the house to make sure the kids were okay, and then I would run back and drag them a bit further . . and well, you get the idea. But it is beautiful here. While I was doing part of this, the kids found the turkeys and were about three or four feet away from them and the turkeys weren't scared at all. I have seen up to 15 of them at a time. This weekend we are furniture shopping for some couches for the living room area of the house. As soon as I find my USB cord, I will send pictures of various things! Happy weekend!

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

The wind sounds fabulous. Hey, as long as there aren't tornadoes, the wind will be a breeze to you. hee hee. I see a tractor/wagon in your future to take the garbage down..or a cute hired hand. ;) LOVE hearing about your life.

Anonymous said...

I think you are settling in nicely. With all the turkeys, are you having Thanksgiving dinner this year?

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the turkey joke.

I hope your injuries are healing and you have a safe weekend.

Anonymous said...

Very happy to hear there has not been any further crashes or bites;a quarter mile drive? wow I too think a utility trailer for your tractor is an option; enjoy your new home