Sunday, August 8, 2010

The house is ours!

We won! We won!! We won the house!! Woohoo!! The house is a cape cod style and is a certified energy star home. All of the appliances are energy star, it has a ton of cellulose insulation, the walls are built a certain way, it has propane heat and some other things I can't even remember. The landscaping needs some work as I think perhaps they gave up on taking care of the house as it was on the market over a year and they really needed to sell it. The housing market isn't doing so well up there and we got a great deal on this house so we're hoping this is a great investment. Fully finished basement with two additional bedrooms for a total of five (even has a complete kitchen down there - ahhh, I miss basements). The best part is that it has seven wooded acres, but we're going to be able to make all kinds of paths through the land as it isn't densely wooded. We got just what we were looking for and couldn't be happier.

I didn't know much about the area before we moved there, but we are about five to ten minutes from BEACHES!! Real beaches!! We can pretend we're at the ocean!! It is so amazing. There are waves and everything. The Lake Michigan sand dunes are less than 10 minutes from our house and there are tons of bike trails/cross country skiing trails/jogging trails. AND the people are SO NICE. Everyone was friendly and they all talked about how much they loved it there. There are tons of blueberry farms, sweet corn fields, and farmer's markets. I can not wait to take the kids to the beach and build sand castles!! Now you all have a place to come and vacation!! :) There is a train to Chicago and the ride takes less than two hours and a ferry to Milwaukee that takes maybe two to four hours. So many things to do and all kinds of festivals. We will hopefully close in less than three weeks and be up there before Labor Day weekend.

That being said, I need to spend so much time with all my friends here before we leave. Again, this is the part I'm trying to just not think about. I am so going to miss so many people here and all of their kids whom I have had the honor of watching grow up over the past three years. Goodbyes - I don't like them at all. . . .

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so happy and excited for you all; looking forward to our first visit!!! I promise not to stay longer than three months; ha
Dad

Kathryn said...

I am so excited about your new house and wonderful LOCATION!! When we are sad we have to remember, this is not good-bye, it is see you soon! Paulina and I will definitely be road-tripping. She needs some Yankee experiences!!

Julie said...

Kate - totally thought of the two of you up here - Paulina TOTALLY needs to see what we are talking about. Everyone was SO NICE and even though it was just a little town. . . it just . . . well, made me happy! Plus it might not be that far from your family in Indiana - I could maybe pop down when you are there or we could meet halfway (although I know how busy visits home can be).

Denise said...

Congrats on the new house! Pictures, please!

Anonymous said...

Sounds terrific!

Kathryn said...

Are there photos on-line, maybe at realtor.com?

Unknown said...

Looks like I'll need to install that door coming up from the in-law basement first thing!