Friday, March 11, 2011

Kindergarten Conference

Last night, Greg went to Katrina's conference and she is doing very well. That being said, I am amazed at what they learn in kindergarten. In three hours, five days a week they have learned all their letters, they have learned to read, they can count to 100 by ones, fives, tens, and now they are working on doing it by twos, she can add and subtract, they have learned a lot of shapes and figures - cones, cylinders, prisms, squares, circles, triangles, rhombus, trapezoid, oval, octagon, and hexagon, she can write short stories, she can write 66 words independently in 10 minutes (the goal was 18 - had to brag about that one) - gosh, I think that is a lot. I don't remember learning much in kindergarten.

On a different note, last night I woke up around three and couldn't fall back to sleep and I began thinking of what all she learned. I started thinking about hexagons and octagon and how a square should really be called a quadrigon and then I realized that the word square is probably someway derived from "quad" as it has three of the four letters. Same thing with triangle and triagon. And yes, this actually kept my mind going until at least 4:30.

And I also started thinking about genetics and how Katrina has messy writing like me and I really don't care if my writing is neat or not and never have. She is also messy like me (former roommates take note) - she throws wrappers on the counter instead of putting them in the trash even though I've told her a million times to put it in the trash and her brother can do it. However, I do the same thing even though I know I will have to pick it up later. Her room is a disaster and can explode approximately 30 seconds after being picked up - I get it though. The same thing happened to me. Ethan can pick his room up within a minute and Katrina is at a complete loss as to how she can even clean it - she dreads it as do I. There is definitely no denying genetics, but I wouldn't want either one of them to be different than they are!

2 comments:

Sue said...

...and I wouldn't want you any different than you are.

Kathryn said...

ditto.