Friday, March 18, 2011

Leprechuans

Yesterday we had the following conversation in the car (St. Patrick's Day)

Katrina: Some girls on the playground said they saw leprechauns in the field. I saw them, too.
Me: You did. Wow.
Ethan: I saw leprechauns in the woods (at home).
Katrina: You did? Mommy, did he?
Me: I don't know, Katrina. He did play outside.
K: I'm going to call Ms. Rebecca and ask her (E's teacher). (K holds up her finger phone to ear) 'Ms. Rebecca, It's Katrina. Did Ethan see a leprechaun today at school? Yes, I didn't think so. Thank you.' Ethan, Ms. Rebecca said there weren't any leprechauns at your school.
Me: He didn't have school today. He saw one at our house after speech.
Katrina: I'm calling Mrs. S (E's speech path). (Finger phone again). 'Mrs. S, It's Katrina. Did Ethan see a leprechaun at your school? Yes, I didn't think so. Thank you.' Ethan, Mrs. S said you are making that up.
Me: Katrina, he saw the leprechaun after speech.
Katrina (thoughtful pause): Ethan did you really see a leprechaun in the woods?
E: Yes.
Katrina (another thoughtful pause): You really did? You aren't lying?
Ethan: Yes, I saw one in the woods.
Katrina (another pause) Huh.

So there you go - at least two leprechaun sitings here in Michigan. Anyone else see one?? Happy belated St. Patty's Day!

8 comments:

Denise said...

Very convincing. I believe him too.

Sue said...

Oh, I believe him. I saw one in the backyard.

Julie said...

Mom, the kids were both stunned and silent for almost a minute when I told them that.

Sue said...

Well, maybe he left some gold coins for them in the backyard when he was here. And maybe they will have to hunt for them during their visit.

Julie said...

REAL GOLD COINS??? Did he leave me some?? I will be there tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Katrina may have a future in investigations.........police, FBI,CIA etc; and I too believe Ethan; I was skeptical about all those turkeys until I saw them myself, so who is to say there isn't at least one leprechaun out there?

Sue said...

When I talk about gold coins, I am referring to the only kind of gold coins that I have personally seen. That would be the chocolate coins covered in gold foil. I am truly sorry if I lead you to believe that you would find 14K gold in my back yard. BUT - I think the leprechauns did leave some of the chocolate ones for you.

Kathryn said...

My friend has a schizophrenic mom who buried candy bars under her tree. This conversation made me think of her. No offense intended. bahahahhaaha!!