On the way home from dropping off my sweet girl at preschool, I saw the most shocking sight turning at the yellow flashing light where we turn to head home. There were about six or seven huge pick-up trucks each flying two huge confederate flags off the back of their trucks. Just when I start to get settled here and think, "Gosh, it isn't that bad here," Arkansas never fails to shut me up. Perhaps it was just me, but I swear you could feel the hate radiating from the people in those trucks. We live only a few hours from the home of the KKK and to see those flags is just a reminder of . . . . well, the hate and ignorance that our children are going to be exposed to here. I'm glad Katrina wasn't in the car as I'm sure she would have been full of questions about those flags. Still in shock about that one.
On a more positive note, I'm going to work on uploading video to see if I can post some cute moments of the kids. Ethan is my only subject today as Katrina is at school so we'll see what I can capture. Baxter is off to the vet tomorrow to continue seeing if we can improve his back pain - she said she still has lots of things to try which makes me feel better. We're just starting to address this issue and he still gets around fine - just has pain when lying down, poor guy.
3 comments:
Seeing that flag always makes my heart drop a little. It is hard for me not to prejudge people that so proudly display it. And I find myself wanting to keep my distance from them. Sad but true.
so glad you are blogging! : )
Cool to see you blogging. You always have insightful thoughts that brighten or enlighten my day.
You can definately find your share of racial people in the south (KKK freaks me out). I honestly think most people fly that flag now because they simply think it's a symbol of their southern heritage/culture, not realizing how offensive it still is. I personally never have nor ever would fly one. Definately a subject that can be controversial. Can't believe a bunch of business trucks were flying them though. Well, perfect example of the callibur of people that would still want to fly them today.
Uggh. To me, they are like swastikas. I guess that is all I should say...oh...and...I love your blog!!!!
Post a Comment