Monday, June 21, 2010

Our nest

For Mother's Day, the kids gave me a hummingbird plant holder to attract hummingbirds. Last week, though, the kids and I noticed a chickadee flying in and out of it building a nest. We had a great time watching her, but then we didn't see her for a few days. I checked the nest and there weren't any eggs, so I carefully watered my flowers thinking that she had built another nest somewhere else. Then the other night while the kids were swimming, I stood on a chair and peeked in and out flew the mother bird. We have at least four little eggs in there if not five. I saw her fly out last night and peeked in again and no baby birds yet.

This weekend while mowing, I spotted a black widow's web with hundreds of newly hatched little baby spiders. I was going to the grab the camera as the black widow had a body the size of a small grape, but alas, I thought killing it was more important. This is the one time that I will use bug spray as these critters need to go! Did I say as big as a grape? I meant a plum! Huge! Possibly even as big as an apple! A miracle I'm still alive!

Grammy Sue arrives today! We have a fun-filled week for her and our main objective is to avoid the 100 degree heat. Yuck!

4 comments:

Denise said...

Thank God you are still alive. I mean that.

Anonymous said...

I think the same as Denise.

However, there could be a good story plot here. Just think about it - a giant black widow and millions of off spring!!!!!!!!!!!

if you get this comment, I have successfully sent it from the I-Pad while waiting to go to Julie's at the Columbus Airport.

Julie said...

I'm glad you both understand what a close call it was. You should have seen the way it looked at me.

Unknown said...

I saw it later on the ground. I would say it was more like watermellon size! And by the way, please stop standing on chairs. It is a safety issue...