Today I went to the dentist and for the first time ever the dentist mentioned my tongue thrust (my teeth don't close all the way as I push my tongue forward - I have seen a specialist about this before and was basically told there was nothing I could do). He brought in another dentist and he told me that my teeth can possibly fix themselves if I learn how to swallow differently. I can't swallow with my teeth shut (I learned this today) as I stick my tongue through my teeth to swallow. Now I am trying to focus on putting my tongue on my palette when I swallow instead of through my teeth. I am also supposed to keep my tongue up there as much as I can during the day and he gave me all of these weird speech exercises to practice. So yes, as I'm typing I am sitting here with my tongue up on my hard palette. I am supposed to go back in six weeks to see if the space has shrunk. If this space hasn't shrunk (I'm not sure if this is just folk lore at this point or if there is real scientific evidence that supports this), I am going to be disappointed as this is a lot of work. Did anyone practice swallowing while reading this? :) Still not sure if they are making this up or if this is just a trick they play on patients to entertain themselves or if there is actually something to this.
On a funny note, today after the dentist we went to Target. Ethan was walking up on the curb with grass that runs in between the parking lot aisles and he fell into mud. And I mean MUD. Not dirty water. THICK brown MUD. He was covered from the top of his shirt to his crocs which were filled with mud. Somehow I had everything I needed in my car. Towels, back up clothes, baby wipes. We had him cleaned up in about ten minutes and continued on our way. Pretty impressive, I thought!
Here is some video of him playing with play-dough with the walnut chopper that my mom used to use when we were little. Apparently it works well with play-dough, too. At some point, a fly starts to buzz around him. We have HUNDREDS outside our home right now - UGH. He has a bit of a cold so his nose is stuffy in this video.
7 comments:
Ethan is so cute!!!!!! I remember chopping nuts in that nut chopper but I never once imagined a boy named Ethan putting play dough in it. I love it!!!
About your tongue thrust...I took you to the dentist when you were young...just so all your blog friends know that...and I never was told anything about what you described. And I did swallow as I was reading it.
JULIE got the nut chopper! Geez. Guess I know where I stand. At least my tongue works right!
Denise - I will buy you a nut chopper asap. Because I love you both the same. XOXOXOXOXOXOOX
I question Dr. Wagstaff's skills. The AR dentist said that if this had been caught around 12 or 13 they could have fixed it. That being said, i'm learning to swallow correctly which is a lot of work. I still don't see how my teeth can actually fix themselves at this point, but I'm trying it. Sweet Denise, I'm not sure how I got the chopper. It showed up in some random box. I tried to chop nuts with it and couldn't figure out how to do it without sticking my fingers down there to smoosh the nuts down. Perhaps mom didn't want YOU to harm your pretty little fingers doing this! :P
I'm just kidding. I have a nut chopper that chops all kinds of nuts. Not just walnuts. Mom gave it to me at some point. Enjoy chopping your playdough!
I am sooooo impressed you were prepared for the covered in mud scenario, I need to take notes!!!!
I am relieved to read your mom took you to the dentist when you were little! lol
Post a Comment