Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring is here. . .

It is officially green, green, green here. I love looking outside the window in the morning and seeing all of the green. Today I filled up one of my hummingbird feeders (I use a cup of hot water and add 1/4 cup sugar and let it cool - I have read that they don't need red food as the fake flower on the feeder is red and that is plenty to attract them - works great at my home and it is much cheaper than the store stuff!). I think it is still a bit early, but I'm trying to be prepared for their arrival. They are one of my favorite things about living here. I will at times have over ten birds fighting for a spot on their favorite feeder. Very aggressive little suckers - I have actually seen one hummingbird momentarily knock another one out. It fell on the ground and I stood there watching it. After a few minutes it kind of shook its head and then flew away. They will buzz by you so closely that you could easily touch them if you were fast enough. I think I have a lot of them too because of all the honeysuckle that grows wild around here (the kids also love to get the "juice" out of the honeysuckle). When they start arriving, I am going to try to take some video of them. They are crazy fun! Happy monday to you all! (and Lara Rae and Greg, thanks for becoming official followers - made me smile!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I don't have a red hummingbird feeder do I need red food coloring? I have NO hummingbirds.

Julie said...

The flowers on the feeder are red, aren't they? That is the only part on mine that is red. The rest is glass or a bronzy color. You might want to try putting it near a spot in your garden that you have seen them around. Make sure you clean the feeder and put in new food at least once a week. I have read that a hummingbird knows when food is old and will never drink it. That is my advice - any others?