Friday, April 16, 2010

This animal story is NOT an April Fool's Day joke

OK, so today Ethan and I set out for our daily outing to go and pick Katrina up. We had just turned off the dirt road when I saw this animal out of the corner of my right eye. It darted out in front of me and hopped/ran to the other side of the road and continued on its journey. I have no idea though what type of animal this was. At first I thought it was a rabbit as it had really long ears and looked like it was jumping, but it was too big to be a rabbit. Then I thought maybe it was a fox, but it wasn't really red and it was slightly bigger than a fox is (I think). Then I talked myself into thinking it was just a very odd looking dog until I heard Ethan pipe up in the back seat with the following exclamation - "Huh, what was that? A rabbit? A kangaroo? Must have got out from zoo. What was that?". OK, what was that?? When Katrina got into the car, Ethan immediately started telling her about the animal that we saw that must have come from the zoo. She looked at him like he was nuts, but I totally knew what he was talking about and I'm just as perplexed. It honestly looked like a hare/fox/jackal/dingo/kangaroo combo. Strange, strange, strange. . . and I repeat, this one is NOT an April Fool's Day joke. This REALLY is true.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well.....now what did it look like again? Only thing I can say is that I wish I had been there. Good thing you have Ethan to back up your story.

Kathryn said...

I believe you, even if your mother doesn't. LOL! I have seen some freaky things here. Only in Arkansas, my dear, only in Arkansas. Hey, we could write a musical, like Oklahoma! The lead song could be "Only In Arkansas".... I have gone a lil madddddd.....

Kathryn said...

When I saw a bobcat, it hopped like a big bunny. It was so odd. If the ears were short, I bet that's what you saw. They have a strange hop/run.

Julie said...

I thought maybe a bobcat, but it wasn't cat-like. Looked more like a dog-ish thing, but looong ears and hopped/ran. It didn't slow down a bit when it went across the road (much like a wild animal - most country dogs know to at least slow down before reaching the road). Maybe a hybrid coyote, rabbit, fox combo?? Seriously weird. But perhaps I have gone a lil maaddddd! :P

Anonymous said...

Kate - I was really taken in by the April Fool's story. I called her to suggest she get in touch with the sheriff's office because I was worried the zebra's owner would accuse her of being a thief. So you can see why I am a little cautious of this. But, okay, I believe her.

And I like the musical idea.

Kathryn said...

Sue- Ohhhh, yes, I do understand! I fell for the April Fool's joke, too. lol. You can have a part in the musical. I heard you are multitalented.

Julie- you must be on chapter 41 of your oddities of Arkansas!